Shaily started doing social media for her hobby community in high school… ON MYSPACE. She didn’t realize what she did was doing social media until after college when she saw a question on a job application asking if she had ever managed an online community, and she realized there was something there.
She graduated from Indiana University with a degree and certification in elementary education K-6, and she now uses those mad teaching skills to lead workshops, work with business owners 1-on-1 training them on social media, and has coached 200+ B2B consultants on how to use LinkedIn to grow their business. She guides business on how to stay top of mind with their community and referral network using social media. I hold them accountable and boost their confidence in themselves, what they have to offer, and their own social media abilities. She loves live streaming, event social media, live Tweeting, and comment engagement.
Welcome to another episode of the Frugalpreneur podcast! In today’s showcase episode, we have the incredible Shaily, a bootstrapped entrepreneur who shares her journey of overcoming obstacles and finding success in the world of social media. Shaily takes us back to her high school days where she discovered her passion for online communities, paving the way for her career in managing social media. Through her frugal approach, Shaily shares her tips on minimizing overhead costs, utilizing AppSumo for great deals on software, and embracing the Profit First strategy. She also explores the importance of investing in the right people and the value of seeking help and guidance. Get ready to be inspired and learn valuable takeaways that you can implement in your own bootstrap business journey. Let’s dive into Shaily’s entrepreneurial story on this exciting episode of Frugalpreneur!
❇️ Key topics and bullets
– Shaily’s childhood and early experiences with online communities
– Transition to freelancing in media and managing social media
– Shift from offering social media services to teaching others how to do it themselves
– Bootstrapping the business and the importance of frugality
– Utilizing AppSumo for deals on software
– Hiring fractional workers for specific projects
– Implementing Profit First system for financial management
– Shaily’s frugality in personal life
– Investing money back into the business
– Failure to pay for needed help earlier
– Stubbornness in figuring things out on her own
– Recognizing the value of investing in coaches and mentors
🧞♂️ Discussion questions
1. How did Shaily’s experience as a “loser kid” shape her entrepreneurial journey?
2. How did Shaily’s early involvement in online communities contribute to her success in social media management?
3. What was the turning point in Shaily’s business when she shifted from managing social media for others to teaching them how to do it themselves?
4. What frugal strategies did Shaily employ in the early stages of her business, and how did they contribute to her success?
5. How did Shaily leverage her networking skills to find clients and grow her business?
6. What lessons did Shaily learn about overspending and investing wisely in her business?
7. In what ways did Shaily’s personal frugality differ from her approach to finances in her business?
8. How did investing in mentors and coaches help Shaily overcome challenges and accelerate her business growth?
9. What role did Shaily’s commitment to self-learning and figuring things out on her own play in her entrepreneurial journey?
10. How has Shaily’s willingness to ask for help and bring on additional services positively impacted her business and personal life?